Personal Website of Sohail Ahmed

Welcome! This space is for folks preparing for the ASCP – MLS/MT/CLS exams.

Thank you to the foreign visitors to my page (108 international locations and counting). I took the ASCP exam but the ASCPi is the international equivalent of the same exam. The competencies tested are the same.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, they are always welcome and appreciated. Your email will not be displayed.

MORE UPDATES!____

Updated: gram neg bacilli – Enterobacteriaceae!

An updated chart concerning Haemophilus species

Identifying Haemophilus and the phenomenon of satelliting

Hemoglobin electrophoresis for the ASCP exam. The last 12 slides are 6 questions (to test your knowledge) and 6 answers (to cement your understanding) for the exam. Take a look and let me know what you think.

A chart of common ABO discrepancies encountered in blood bank. You are now fully covered for absolutely any ABO discrepancy questions thrown your way by ASCP!

Gram Positive Cocci chart

Gram Positive Bacilli chart

Spirochete chart

A collection of Real Test Questions/Recalls under Exam Recalls

How to Solve an Antibody Panel now posted under Blood Bank

Random Cartoon Questions
micropic whatami

1,235 Responses to Personal Website of Sohail Ahmed

1. Joel says:

I just want to say thanks for taking your time to provide a wealth of information for aspiring MLS like myself. I just took the CA MLS ASCP exam last 14Feb2017 and passed thanks to you. Joel T.

• wordsology says:

Hey absolutely, Joel. Thank you for the kind words and congratulations.

• mahmud says:

Hi i just want say thank you for spending your precious time to help others, May God bless you with guidance ,
        i have a general question if anyone can help, how long can you stay before you take the board, in other word if i graduated 2 years a go but have not taken the board yet can i still take the exam is there a limitation of time to take the board?
        thanks a lot

2. Stephanie Revilla says:

Hi : ) I am getting pretty desperate in passing the ASCP CLS Exam. I am left with not enough time to study before I take the exam.
    I graduated 25 years ago.
    Can I please bribe someone on this site to provide me with a compilation of all the questions asked on the ASCP CLS Exam? : ) I will throw in a round trip airfare to any place of your choice the very same day that I pass the exam (this is if I PASS the exam : ) ) Please email me at losangelesmayor2013@yahoo.com
    Thank you so much !

3. Krabbypatty says:

I just took my second ASCP exam and FAILED AGAIN. I was quite confident because I saw about 5 questions from here and the other questions were pretty easy. I studied for a month and a half and I answered Lab ce 100 qns everyday. I seriously don’t know what happened!! Oh well. I guess I gotta take again! Bummer! Anyway these are the questions that I can recall

Procainamide: NAPA
    BHCG tumor marker for what? Not sure but I answered chorocarcinoma. Cos the three choices were pancreatic, colon and lungs
    MCV calculation
    5HIAA carcinoid tumors
    I had 5 bb panels (was thinking maybe this was the reason I failed. Although I did understand but the questions were a bit confusing. Not sure with my answers)
    Proteus vulgaris and mirabilis indole tests
    Bb and Heme Case studies
    Hydatid cyst fluid
    Rh stuff
    ABO descripancies
    Antacid overdose? What lab test should you conduct?
    Ouchterlony reading

Sorry. Thats the only thing I can remember. I’m still in shock because I really can’t believe why I failed again. I felt I was already prepared. Sighhhh. Oh well. Sh** happens.
    Goodluck for those who are taking the exam! All the best!

• Krabbypatty says:

I had a score of 393! So close! I cried again when I saw the email 😦

• wordsology says:

Thank you for this excellent feedback. I am sorry to hear you didn’t pass. Please make sure to get feedback from ASCP on which topics you didn’t do so well on. This will help you pass next time.

• Mary Rake says:

What do you mean by topic? Is there anything else we can get feed back on other than our scores for the specific areas? example chemistry 487 points?

4. dreigonzales says:

Hi good day, It has been few months since I took my ASCPi exam. All I can say is thank you for all the help you have given me. From passing strategy books to read, recall questions up to the high yield notes. I was out of practice as Laboratory Technologist for eight years but through the help of this website, I passed the ASCPi on my first attempt. Thank you!!!!

5. KC says:

I recently passed my cASCP on the first try after being out of school for… many years! This website was so, so helpful! I used Burtis and Kaplan for my main references. I also used Success in Clinical Laboratory Science, and Clinical Laboratory Science Review and Polanski Cards. I used the study guide outline from ASCP and the references to refresh on concepts I haven’t thought about in years. Some say the references are to in depth and at times I got lost in the weeds. As I was going thru sections I used LabCE basically every day. As I became more familiar I used Success and Clinical Laboratory to constantly do review questions. Any fact I got incorrect on LabCE I copied and pasted into a study guide.
    I bought the BOC. It wasn’t as good…. just as Wordsology suggested! But toward the end I did flip thru it.
    So thanks Wordsology!

And if anyone is interested I have for sale:
    Harr: Clinical Laboratory Science Review
    Ciulla: Success in CL
    ASCP: BOC Study Guide 5th edition
    Polansky cards – I have to find them thou.
    Email racegirl231@gmail.com

Good Luck!

6. Sam says:

What a bout all formulas. Should I know all of them by heart?
    manual cell count formula
    Nucleated RBC correction formula
    osmolality
    anion gap
    creatinin clearance
    friedwald formula
    henderson-Hasselbach
    …….

7. Qing says:

Hello, thanks for your advice on how to prepare for the ASCP exam. I took the exam and passed today. Your high yield micro notes saved me. Keep up with the good works and thanks a lot again. 🙂

8. Terri James says:

I took mine in Savannah, Georgia.

9. Maria says:

Hello,
    I’ve been reading recalls and doing Labce questions. My question is, is ascp and ascpi have the same pool of questions?

10. Mia says:

Good day!
    Can you recommend review centers for ASCP?

11. Kathy says:

I took my exam yesterday and passed! Thank you so much for all the high yield notes, they were invaluable in helping me pass. The recall questions others posted were also extremely helpful.

• johnsonorji says:

did you use Polansky cards? what was the best resource you used

• AZUKA says:

congrats Johnson I am so happy that you guys are all bagging it this week… Please, we need your Polanski cards as we try to put in more efforts to join you all…. Congrats again

12. Maria Esperanza R. Sevilla says:

Thank you so much for being so kind and generous enough to share your knowledge for us who are aspiring to be certified ASCPi. I hope and pray that God will bless me the way He has blessed the others who have took the exam. And I also pray that God will bless you more that you may continue to be a blessing to a lot more people. Keep up your good works! I salute you!!!! 👏👏👏

13. Kenneth Kim A. Rocela says:

Do you have Recall or reviewer for ASCPi?

14. cmantis says:

Took the exam yesterday and passed. I had 4 or 5 mycology questions which i wanst ready for. zero parasite questions was nice tho! get a labce subscription and go through as many questions as you can. i probably went through 2k or more questions.

15. Wittyboy says:

Hello,
    I want to know which one is a better package for the ASCP exam between these two;
    1). Exam Simulator for MLS, MT, and MLT Exams
    Prepare for your ASCP, AMT, other certification exam
    Over 3,000 questions with images and feedback
    Take mock exams or focus on specific subject areas for targeted review
    The most popular exam prep tool, with over 15,000 subscribers
    Available 24/7/365 from any Internet-connected computer,
    smartphone, or tablet.

2). MLS & MLT Comprehensive CE Package
    Continuing education credits for medical laboratory professionals (MLS, MT, MLT)
    Renew your ASCP, AMT, or state certification with P.A.C.E.®-approved CE.
    Get access to all 102 online courses for a full year.
    Available 24/7/365 from any Internet-connected computer, smartphone, or tablet.
    Start at work, finish at home

• wordsology says:

#1 is for folks who need to study for the exam and pass it
      #2 is for folks who have passed the exam/are licensed and need to maintain the license

• Sue S says:

I did both and passed my CLS exam last November. In my opinion, based on the questions on my exam, the PACE continuing ed package is more manageable than the stimulator, the courses simple and to the point. And Sohail’s website had many recalls and his high yield notes which definitely helped me over the passing line. Know your stuff but don’t overstudy and review Sohail’s high yield notes

16. Azuka says:

Hello I am kinda knew here notwithstanding I find this site so Interesting like I might become addicted to it…. I am about to write the ASCPi but I am not sure what the pass mark is… Thanks

17. Sarah Steinberg says:

I passed my exam the first time and I just wanted to say thank you for making this site!!!!!

18. liwa says:

hi sohail! would you recommend the random questions in labce? thanks

19. Hi! I am planning to take my ASCP M test (for microbiology only), other than the suggested material, are there other micro materials I should use? Any additional information regarding taking this certificate will be greatly appreciated!

20. chitra says:

Hello everyone,I am planning to do Specialist in Chemistry.Please let me know if any one knows the preparation about these.I would appreciate your help.The flash cards of ASCP or Lab CE which one is best so i will purchase that.

21. Anthony says:

Wonderful site, very helpful and informative. There is a problem I noticed though. On your enterobacteriaceae chart you have Yersinia listed as being motile, which I believe is false. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    On a separate note, I will be taking my MT (AAB) certification exam tomorrow, so I will try to get back and let everyone know how much these study guides helped on that particular exam.

• wordsology says:

Thanks Anthony and good luck tomorrow. With respect to your comment on Yersinia, Y. enterolitica is indeed NONMOTILE which is what the chart demonstrates as well…

22. Roela Gee Villatuya says:

Hi. I just passed ASCPi last June 2017 and I’ve read some of your recalls and it helped in my examination some of the recalls here are also on my exams so as giving back here are my recalls. Thankyou so much!!

June 2017 ASCPi RECALLS
    RBC maturation picture
    Proglottid of T. Saginata
    Biochem result of P.vulgaris
    Hepa A sequence of ag, IgM & IgG
    Rh Neg mother pre natal & post natal results
    Cold agglutinins
    Results of decreasing bilirubin- due to phototherapy
    Results of cbc hgb/hgb on the 3rd day increased by 2.0g- due to prolong tourniquet application
    Levey jennings chart- what error
    Measure precision- SD
    Px with lyme disease- False positive with Syphilis

23. tazeen5 says:

Thanks for reply Sohail. I didn’t pass😔 but I am not that disappointed because eventhough I gave only 1 and a have month to study and coudn’t even get around to look into the exam recalls I got 396 points! I have applied for retaking and now waiting for the admission letter. For me this exam is quite difficult because as I’ve mentioned I am from Denmark and have studied in Danish language my english is terrible as well 🙉🙈🙊Now we are planning to move Florida but it’s not easy as I thought! 😨hope I can pass the International MLS this time 🙏 because have studied all exam recalls. When I am done with this exam will start study for TOFEL test, which is also one of the requirements for Medical Technologist for the Visa Screening through CGFNS. Haaaah I am so stressed 😓😓

24. Paul says:

Thank you for this website. I hope it can help me.

25. Claudine says:

Hi Sir! Do you have a compiled notes/ softcopy of your “High Yeild Notes” and “Recalls”?

• wordsology says:

No. I am working on something but that project is a long one. Everything is available on the internet though! I am always improving the charts and adding more recalls so it’s best to refer to this website itself. Good luck.

26. mewipinas says:

A million thanks to Sohail for making this site! Your high yield notes is a must in studying ASCP and for your recommendation of studying materials, testing skills, the compilation of recall questions it really helped me to attain my success… I Passed the exam yesterday. Thank you again!
    To all previous test takers also thank you for sharing your recall questions and your answers. I scan all your recalls a month before my exam rewrite and reread. God bless you Sohail!

27. Amazinglar says:

Hi, Sohleil I just passed my exam yesterday! Thank you for making our life easier. I owe you one- a big one to be honest. Srsly, I dont have enough time to study. I just study your exam recalls the whole night. Thank you and I will always pray for you.

Ive encountered lots of Mycology questions (almost 50%). There are pictures that up until now, I dont know what they are. Tricky BB and Chemistry questions. Ive never thought I could make it. Thanks to you as well as to our mighty God.

I listed down some of the questions here:

Patient needs 4 units of Fye and anti-E (66% pop. Fye and 29% Anti-E) **Ive got 3 questions like this**
    a. 3
    b.8

correct transport storage for Virus standing for 96hrs? a. put on ice, lyophilized, loeffler serum

Cholestasis Hepatitis: Tbil, Conj Bil, ALP and? a. ALT, AST, AFP, GGT?

Coccaine: Benzoylecgonine
    Procanimide: NAPA

Reproduction of Fungal Culture is best to identify in: a. Test tube culture b. Petri Dish c. slide culture

Steps of PCR: Denaturation, Annealing and Extension

Igm Captured Attachment
    Plasma Electrophoresis of ACE
    olive oil: M. furfur

Group O, rh neg, anti-k percent acquired in American pop.? 1, 90, 99 **2 questions like this**

CSF is read at both side having 1:10 dil. Side 1: 18, side 2: 22, 9mm3 calcute the wbc ct

Immunodeficient patient is having staph, strep, entero. What cellular element is defective? a. neutro, lympho, mono, eo?

Hepatitis B can be transfuse thru: 5% albumin, platelet, cryoppt?

Erysepilothrix rhusopathia

Patient having a 4 difft Hct levels for 4 days, what to do?

LDL is differentiated with HDL thru? Thin layer chromatography or Heparan Sulfatw manganese

26yrs old woman taking oral contraceptives will affect what? Iron, transferrin, Folate, Ferritin

A pale young looking woman is having a mens bleeding. inc iron, decreased tibc

Formula for Nucleated RBC but instead of 100, i think you will going to use 50.

Study ANA Pattern
    Study specificity and sensitivity
    I’ve encountered lots of Mycology questions.
    Red Cell Panel study further
    Blood transportation
    total bilirubin computation
    Hematology computation and blood picture
    Mycology pictures

I highly recommend this site. God bless us all. -L,MLS (Ascpi) PH 💯🇵🇭

28. Azuka says:

Hello guys… I will be writing on Monday the 3rd of July 2017 I have made humble preparations but there’s always more to read. I believe God will see me through this exams.. I also wish to thank you all guys.. You’re more than instrumental also Sohali… If there’s any last hour advice, it will be more than welcomed… Wish me luck guys…

29. Andrea says:

Does anyone have the book A bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarreau that I could buy?

30. Roxanne says:

If anyone is planning on taking the M(ASCP) Exam (the micro only one), I would highly suggest that you completely memorize all the high yield Micro notes and the Polansky cards. I also used the Harr book, and i believe that LabCe is a must. I just passed the exam today and it was EXTREMELY difficult despite me feeling very well prepared before I took the test. Trust me, you’re going to need every single point you can get lol. I’m anxiously awaiting my exam score ^_^

Thank you so much for this site Sohail!

31. Tazeen says:

Hello everyone I passed today!!! it was my second time. First time I got 396 and I was so dissapointed but I didn’t give up. Even though I have a full time job and family to take care of I passed the exam 🙂 and this only because I did’nt give up and special thanks to this website and its creator without this website I couldn’t pass it. I don’t live in the US I am from Denmark it was hard for me but I did it!! SO YOU ALL CAN ALSO DO IT!! I used Planske card, recalls, Sohail’s high yield notes, Harr for som explanation and did about 1500 Labce questions and scored 55% in computer adoptive. I got about 40% questions from recalls. I put some recalls soon THANKS AGAIN Sohail and to all the members of this website for posting recalls and postive comments :)))))

32. tazeen5 says:

I have posted my recalls. good luck to you!

33. tazeen5 says:

Congratulations!!

34. AZUKA says:

congrats Sam, Cathy, Tazeen and Mona… I was supposed to write on Monday and hopefully, i would have joined you guys but some stuff came up and I have to be rescheduled… I feel so elated knowing you guys made it and I wish you all the best in further life pursuits…if you are done with your polanski cards i would so much love to benefit from it….azukaamuse@gmail.com

35. johnsonorji says:

Sammy, i would like the Polansky Cards and any other material you may have. God bless you so much my email: joncsam@outlook.com

36. Andrea says:

Sammy have you sent those e-mails out yet? I haven’t seen anything yet and I was going to check my junk mail next.